- 1 medium onion (diced)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 300g uncooked red lentils (rinsed + drained)
- 500 ml vegetable stock (or 500ml hot water plus 2 vegetable stock cubes)
- 1 pot Tideford Organics Vegatable Gravy with Miso
- 1 small bunch chopped parsley
- 100g frozen peas
- 2 carrots (peeled + diced)
- 1 tbsp cornflour (if needed)
- 1.5kg floury potatoes
- 50g vegetable margarine
- 75ml soya milk
- Salt + pepper (to taste)
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
Posted on 29th November 2018
Our spin on a winter classic, this recipe combines hearty lentils with our Vegan Gravy topped with creamy mash to create a dish that the whole family can enjoy!
1. In a large saucepan, sauté onions + garlic with a pinch of salt + pepper in the olive oil until lightly browned.
2. Add lentils, carrots, stock, gravy + parsley + stir. Simmer until lentils are tender (about 30 mins). Stir in the peas + thicken with cornflour mixed with water if needed.
3. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes + slice any large ones in half. Place in a large pot + cover with water. Bring to a simmer, then salt, cover + cook for 20-30 minutes or until very tender.
4. Heat the oven to 180°C / 160 °C Fan.
5. Once the potatoes are cooked, drain + mash with vegetable margarine, soya milk, salt + pepper.
6. Transfer the lentil mixture to a baking dish + carefully top with mashed potatoes. Smooth down with a fork.
7. Place the dish on a baking tray + bake for 15 minutes or until the mash is lightly browned on top.
Tip: Add a dash of vegan Worcester sauce (we like Biona) to the lentil mix for a savoury boost.