- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 small aubergine, ½ cm slices
- 1 large potato, ½ cm slices
- 2 x 300g pots Tideford Organics Vegan Tomato & Basil sauce
- 100g quinoa
- 250ml vegetable stock (or 1 vegetable stock cube dissolved in 250ml hot water)
- 250ml soya milk
- 30g vegan spread
- Salt + pepper
- 30g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- Oregano to garnish
Vegan Moussaka with Tomato + Basil Sauce
Posted on 23rd January 2020
A deliciously warming vegan version of this classic Greek dish – layers of aubergine + potato combined with a creamy vegan béchamel + our Vegan Tomato + Basil Sauce. Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins
- Pre-heat oven to 160C/350F/gas mark 4.
- Simmer the quinoa for 12 - 15 minutes in the vegetable stock.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp oil in a pan and fry slices of aubergine on both sides. Set aside. Repeat with the potato slices.
- Lightly grease a shallow oven-proof dish. Arrange half the aubergine slices across its base and top with one pot of the tomato + basil sauce and half the quinoa. Arrange the potato slices on top and add the second pot of sauce and remaining quinoa. Finish with the remaining aubergine.
- In a small cup add a little of the soya milk to the cornflour and mix into a thin paste. Add to the remaining soya milk in a saucepan and whisk continuously over a gentle heat until thick and smooth. Stir in the vegan spread* and season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over the aubergine and sprinkle with gluten free breadcrumbs and oregano.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown on top.