Ingredients - Serves (3-4 People)
FOR THE 'MEATBALLS'
- 1 x 400g tinned red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 red onion roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 35g oats
- 30g walnuts
- 4 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1 carrot diced
- 120 ml vegan red wine
- 120 ml vegetable stock
- 1 300 g Tideford Organics Tomato + Basil Sauce
- Oil for frying
So Vegan’s Mighty Vegan Meatballs
Posted on 13th October 2017
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper unless you’re using a non-stick tray.
- Add the meatball ingredients to a food processor and process the ingredients together until the mixture reaches a rough consistency, ensuring some larger pieces remain. It’s really important you avoid processing the ingredients for too long, otherwise the meatballs will turn into a mush!
- Take roughly a tbsp of the mixture in your hand and roll it into a ball, then place it on the baking tray. Repeat until all the mixture has been used up and you’re left with 12 balls.
- Transfer the baking tray to the oven and bake the balls for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the sauce by first adding a little oil to a frying pan on a medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the red onion and fry for 3 minutes. Then add the carrot and fry for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Next, add the wine to the pan and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Then add the vegetable stock, Tideford Organics Tomato + Basil Sauce, and finally add the meatballs to the pan. Simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the sauce has started to thicken.
- Remove the pan from the hob and serve. We recommend serving with mashed potato and a sprinkle of basil. Enjoy!