Ingredients - Serves (makes 16 brownies)
• For the caramel:
150g soft dates, soaked for 15 minutes then drained
2 tbsp. almond nut butter
1tbsp white miso paste
75ml coconut milk or almond milk
• For the brownies:
200g dark chocolate (minimum 70% cocoa solids)
200g dairy free spread
2 tsp vanilla extract
½ ground cinnamon
125g xylitol or erythritol
150g applesauce or pear puree
150g ground almonds
100g gluten free plain flour
2tsp baking powder
pinch of sea salt
Salted Caramel Miso Brownie
Posted on 9th February 2021
Prep 15 mins, Cook 30-35 mins
These delicious gooey chocolate brownies are gluten free and vegan. Using applesauce or pear puree is a great replacement for eggs when baking. This is a wonderful indulgent treat for the family and ideal for parties and celebrations. Using xylitol keeps the overall sugar content low.
- Make the caramel. Simply place all the ingredients in a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease and line a 23cm square tray bake tin with baking parchment.
- Melt the chocolate, butter and sugar in a pan over a very low heat. Stir frequently. Allow the mixture to cool. Pour the chocolate mixture into a bowl or food processor and add the remaining ingredients except the walnuts (if using) and process or beat well. Stir in the walnuts if using.
- Pour half the brownie batter into the tin and level it with a spatula. Using a teaspoon, spoon half of the salted caramel on top of the batter. Spoon the rest of the brownie batter on top and smooth it out, trying not to disturb the caramel beneath. Top with the rest of the caramel in spoonful's. Drag a skewer or tip of a knife through the caramel to make a feathered pattern on the top.
- Scatter with a little more sea salt, then bake for 35-40 mins or until risen all the way to the middle with a firm crust on top. When ready, the brownie will wobble just a little when you shake the tin. Let it cool completely in the tin before cutting into bars