- 500g chickpeas: either dried and soaked for 24 hours, or tinned if you have less time
- 200ml tahini
- 1 bulb garlic
- Pinch of salt
- 3 - 4 tsp Tideford Organics Brown Rice Miso
- 1 lemon
- 200ml olive oil
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread
- 1 small bag rocket
Brown Rice Miso Hummus Crostini
Posted on 30th April 2020
Our Brown Rice Miso is the product of months of careful fermentation. It’s incredibly rich, complex umami flavour is the perfect addition to take your hummus to the next level. Spread onto crostini it makes the tastiest vegan-friendly finger-food!
1. If using dried chickpeas, soak in water for 24 hours. Then place in a large pot, cover with 8cm of water and bring to the boil. Skim off any white foam that has risen to the top and turn down to a simmer. Cook the chickpeas for 90 minutes or until they are past the ‘al dente’ stage with no crunch to them.
2. Or if using tinned chickpeas, strain and wash them, place in a pan and cover with water, then gently warm through.
3. Once the chickpeas are cooked, allow them to cool a little and then with a slotted spoon, start to spoon three quarters of the chickpeas into a food processor or bar blender.
4. Reserve the chickpea water and cover the chickpeas in the blender with some of the water.
5. Add the tahini, 3 garlic cloves, salt, 2 tsp of the miso and the juice of 1 lemon.
6. Slowly start the blender running and mix well until the hummus begins to thicken.
7. If the mixture stops turning and is too thick, add a few tablespoons of the reserved chickpea water until the mixture starts to turn again.
8. Slowly start to add the olive oil, in a steady stream until it is all gone.
9. Stop the blender and check the seasoning. You can up the levels of Miso to suit your preferred taste.
10. Slice the ciabatta and toast/grill. Once done, and while still hot, rub the slices with fresh garlic and spoon on some of the hummus mixture.
11. Top off with a piece of rocket leaf and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve warm.
With thanks to Arthur Potts Dawson for the recipe.