Ingredients - Serves (4 - 6 people)
- 1/2 Tablespoon Tideford Organics Fresh White Miso
- 70g light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml single soya cream
- 70g vegan spread
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 4 apples
- 50g ground almonds
- 50g oats
- 20g light brown sugar
- 40g vegan spread
- 20g toasted, flaked almonds (optional)
Baked Apples with Miso Butterscotch + Almond Crumble
Posted on 27th November 2017
Everyone deserves a treat...and when it’s as simple as this and counts towards one of your 5 a day why resist! Like salted caramel, miso and butterscotch is a match made in heaven.
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/Gas 4. In a flameproof dish*, combine the white miso, light brown sugar, vanilla extract, soya cream, vegan spread and mirin. Stir over a medium heat until the sugar has dissolved, approx 3-4 mins.
- Remove the core from the apples. If you don’t have a corer, use a knife or narrow peeler. Cut each apple in half.
- Put the apple halves into the butterscotch sauce, cut side down. Cover it with tinfoil. Transfer the pan to the oven for approx 20-25 mins, or until the apples are easily pierced with a knife.
- Meanwhile, line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Combine the almond crumble ingredients in a bowl. Using your fingertips, rub in the vegan spread until combined and crumbly.*
- Spread the almond crumble onto the greaseproof. Bake for 10-12 mins, until golden brown.
- When cooked, set the crumble aside and allow it to cool slightly. When cool, break up any large chunks.
- Divide the apples between four plates. Drizzle over the butterscotch sauce and crumble. Top with flaked almonds and ice cream if desired.
* If you don’t have a flameproof dish that’s also suitable for the oven, prepare the sauce in a saucepan before transferring it to an ovenproof dish.
* It’s best to use vegan spread which is fridge cold. Initially the mixture wont resemble fine breadcrumbs but don’t worry, you can crumble it up when it’s baked.
With thanks to Francesca Didymus – you can find more of her delicious recipes here.