Posted on 11th December 2019
Our decorative canapés are just the treat for entertaining your guests this December. They’re super simple to make and require minimal effort so you can spend more time entertaining and less time in the kitchen this Christmas.
Lentil + Spinach Dhal Samosas
- 1 pot of Tideford Organics’ Lentil + Spinach Dhal Meal Pot
- 110g gluten-free plain flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil to deep fry
To make the pastry
- Mix the flour and salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, add the oil and 50ml water to make a firm dough. Knead the dough on a floured surface for 5-10 mins until smooth and then roll into a ball. Cover in cling film and set aside for 30 mins.
To make the samosas
- Divide the pastry into six equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and then roll out each ball into a circle of 15cm diameter. Split this circle down the middle into two equal pieces with a knife.
- Brush each edge of the new semicircles with a little water and form a cone shape with the pastry around your fingers, sealing the dampened edges. Fill the pastry cone with 1 tbsp of the Lentil + Spinach Dhal and press the two remaining dampened edges together to seal the top of the cone. Repeat with the remaining pastry.
- Add vegetable oil to a deep saucepan until it is 1/3 full and heat to 180C. Deep fry the samosas in the oil for 6- 8 mins until crisp and brown. Take out and drain on kitchen paper.
- Serve warm with mango chutney and soya yoghurt for dipping
Tip: If you are short of time, use readymade vegan filo pastry brushed with melted plant-based spread and oven bake until crisp instead of deep frying.
Mini Chickpea + Kale Party Bites
- 1 pot of Tideford Organics’ Chickpea + Kale Rogan Josh
- 2 vegan + gluten-free naan breads
- 25g plant-based spread
- 1 small pot of vegan yoghurt
- Fresh coriander
- Using a 4cm circular cookie cutter, cut out 16-18 circles of naan bread. Once done, melt half the spread in a frying pan and gently toast half of the naan bread circles on both sides. Repeat with the second batch of naan bread circles.
- Meanwhile warm the Chickpea + Kale Rogan Josh according to the pot instructions. Once the naan breads are done, place a large teaspoonful of the rogan josh into the centre of each naan bread. Add a small teaspoon of yoghurt and a coriander leaf on top and serve immediately.