- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 400g plain flour, plus extra for dusting
- 200g plant-based margarine
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 200g dark brown sugar
- 2 tsp Tideford Organics’ Fresh White Miso
- 50g golden syrup
- 100g vegan white chocolate
Miso + Chia Gingerbread Biscuits
Posted on 11th December 2019
There’s nothing more traditional than baking and decorating your own gingerbread at Christmas time. This tasty vegan recipe uses our marvellous miso for that extra umami hit. Try decorating the biscuits in a festive theme to get the creative juices flowing this Christmas.
1. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 6 and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper. Put the chia seeds in a small bowl and stir in 3 tbsp water, leave to soak for 5-10 mins until gloopy. Meanwhile put the flour into a large mixing bowl and rub in the margarine until it resembles fine breadcrumbs and then stir in the mixed spice.
2. In a separate bowl mix together the sugar, syrup, miso, chia seed mixture and 2 tbsp water until smooth and pour into the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined then knead together to make a soft dough.
3. Roll out on a lightly floured surface then cut into Christmas shapes, place on the baking tray and bake for 10-12 mins until just starting to darken at the edges. Once cooked, let them cool for a couple of minutes on the tray then transfer to a wire rack.
4. Once the gingerbread has completely cooled, melt the chocolate using a bain-marie, transfer to a piping bag and decorate*.
*Tip: For an alternative decoration mix 100g of icing sugar with 1-2tbsp of aquafaba (chickpea water) and colour as required with vegan gel colours of your choice.